info

Pugin, August

Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812 – 1852)

Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, born 1812,  was an English-born architect, designer and theorist of design now best known for his work on churches and on the Houses of Parliament.
He was the son of a émigré French draughtsman, Augustus Charles Pugin, who came to England to escape the Revolution. His father trained him to draw Gothic buildings for use as illustrations in his books. Together they published 3 books on Gothic architecture and designes, which was their and specially his key to Gothic architecture. In this way the younger Pugin diccovered a wide knowledge about the Gothic style from an early age on.
In 1833 he was working with Sir Charles Barry on designs for King Edward’s School, Birmingham. This collaboration was followed in 1835-6 by detailed designs for Barry's entries in the competition to build the new Houses of Parliament.
After the burning of the Houses of Parliament in 1834, Pugin was employed by Sir Charles Barry to work on the new Parliament buildings in London.
1835 was the big turning point in Pugin’s career. His book Gothic Furniture in the Style of the Fifteenth Century was published with great success. In the same year he built his first house, St Marie’s Grange, Salisbury, and most importantly, converted to Catholicism.
A.W.N. Pugin died, at the age of 40, in1852.

Important Buildings in England


House designs

St Marie’s Grange, Alderbury
Derby presbytery
Scarisbrick Hall
Uttoxeter presbytery
Keighley presbytery
Bishop’s House, Birmingham
Warwick Bridge presbytery
Clergy House, Nottingham
Bilton Grange
Oxenford Grange farm buildings
Cheadle presbytery
Woolwich presbytery
Brewood presbytery
St Augustine’s Grange (“The Grange”), Ramsgate
Alton Castle
Oswaldcroft, Liverpool
Lanteglos-by-Camelford rectory
Rampisham rectory
Fulham presbytery
Wilburton Manor House


Institutional designs


Westminster Palace
Convent of Mercy, Bermondsey
Mount St. Bernard Abbey
Convent of Mercy, Handsworth
St John’s Hospital, Alton
Convent of St Joseph, school and almshouses, Chelsea, London
Convent of Mercy, Liverpool
Spechley school and schoolmaster’s house
Ratcliffe College
Liverpool Orphanage
Convent of Mercy, Nottingham
Mercy House and cloisters, Handsworth
St Anne’s Bedehouses, Lincoln
Convent of the Good Shepherd, Hammersmith, London
Convent of St Joseph’s, Cheadle

Major Ecclesiastical Designs

St James', Reading
St Mary’s, Derby
Oscott College Chapel
Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury, Dudley
St Anne’s, Keighley
St Alban’s, Macclesfield
St Benedict Abbey (Oulton Abbey), Stone, Staffordshire
St Augustine’s, Solihull
St Marie’s, Southport
St Marie’s, Uttoxeter
St Wilfred’s, Hulme, Manchester
Chancel of St John’s, Banbury
St Chad’s, Birmingham
St Giles’, Cheadle
St Oswald’s, Liverpool
St George’s Cathedral, Southwark, London
Holy Trinity, Radford
Our Lady and St Wilfred, Warwick Bridge
St Marie’s, Brewood
St Marie’s, Liverpool
St Augustine’s, Kenilworth
St Marie’s, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
St Barnabas’ Cathedral, Nottingham
St Marie’s, Stockton-on-Tees
Jesus Chapel, Ackworth Grange, Pontefract
St John the Evangelist, Kirkham
St Peter’s, Woolwich
St Winifrede’s, Shepshed
St Peter and Paul, Albury Park
Our Lady and St Thomas, Northampton
St Wilfrid’s, Cotton
St Peter’s, Marlow
St Augustine’s, Ramsgate
St Marie’s, Rugby
St Lawrence’s, Tubney
St Edmund's College chapel, Old Hall Green
St Marie’s, West Tofts
St Thomas of Canterbury, Fulham
St Osmond’s, Salisbury
Chancel of St Oswald’s, Winwick
Old Codgers Cottage (Windermere)
Erdington Abbey, Birmingham
Chapel restoration, Jesus College, Cambridge
Rolle Mortuary Chapel, Bicton Grange, Bicton
St Nicholas' Church, Boldmere,Sutton Coldfield