info

Raschdorff, Julius

Julius Carl Raschdorff (1823 -1914)

Julius Carl Raschdorff born1823 in Pless, Upper Silesia, and today Pszczyna was a German architect who created the Berlin Cathedral.
After his graduation, 1842 in Gliwice, Raschdorff studied from 1845 to 1853 at the Royal Academy of Architecture in Berlin. 1878 he was appointed to the 2nd City builder of Cologne where he worked till 1854. He renovated the Guerzenich and the town hall. In 1864 he became the chief architect of  Cologne, but resigned 1872 to establish his own office.

Between 1876 and 1880 the estates home in Dusseldorf, the Prussian provincial parliament and later the North Rhine-Westphalia state house were built after his plans. In 1878 he became professor of architecture at the Technical University of Berlin-Charlottenburg. 1914, he retired. Raschdorff designed over 220 buildings in Germany and in neighbouring countries
In a total Raschdorff created six churches, a synagogue, 17 schools, four universities, two museums, two libraries, four hospitals, a theater, two town halls, seven stations, seven palaces or fortresses, 23 villas and ten residential and commercial buildings.

 

Important Buildings:


The railway stations Kyllburg and  Bitburg-Erdorf
Tower of the German church in Stockholm,
Zeichenakademie Hanau
Berlin Cathedral
Polytechnic University,  Berlin, together with Friedrich Hitzig and Richard Lucae
Staendehaus in Dusseldorf
City Theatre in the Glockengasse in Cologne
Apostle School in Cologne
New Church, Church event today in Velbert Long-mining