The Elevador de Santa Justa, is a lift in the city of Lisbon at Santa Justa Street, which connects downtown streets with the uphill Carmo Square. The Santa Justa Lift was designed by Raul Mesnier de Ponsard in the neogothic style with a different pattern on each storey. Construction of the 45 metres height lift began in 1900 and was finished in 1902; originally powered by steam; it was converted to electrical operation in 1907. There are two elevator booths. Each has wooden interior and accommodates 24 people.